Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A Quick Business Update

It's been a little while since I have posted about how business planning is going. That's because, out of necessity, it had to take a slight backseat during the holidays. Work and family, like everyone's, was just too busy for me to do much of anything planning wise. I still made soap throughout the holiday season, because that really is the most important part of the business I think, learning the in's and outs of making quality soap.

January was a lost cause as well. I am up for a much needed promotion at work (hopefully I will know something in the next 2 weeks, or sooner). It will still be a retail position, but I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that where I am at, retail, is seemingly where I am supposed to be right now. It offers a lot of things a legal job would not, like a nice chunk of paid time off, flexibility in scheduling, a very low stress position. It really allows me the time and a mind frame to focus on what is important to me right now, which is my family, my creative time, and my business plans. Plus, despite the fact I do have that law license, I also know I would be very unhappy at a regular legal job, especially the ones that are available in my small town. Family and criminal law are nothing I want to practice. I honestly would rather stay in retail, so I am for right now. Anyhoo, that stress, along with a few others, and the roller coaster of not knowing when and if the promotion is going to come has turned my Type A personality into freak out mode. And when I am like that, it is very hard to concentrate on anything else but the stress.

But the good news is that I can only keep on like that for so long before I just get to the point where I just toss my hands up and say what ever happens will happen, and I get back to business at hand. And business at hand is getting some to-do's in line for the next few months concerning getting my blog redesigned, getting the website I bought actually online, and taking the first baby steps into selling. Friends and family have been asking to purchase some of my soap, either to replenish what I have sent them and they used, and thankfully, loved, to give as gifts, or to just support me in this dream. And they are wanting to pay for it. Since all of these people are spread out all over the country, and simply can't just drop by my house to see what is on the drying racks, I have decided I am opening a small shop for just them through Zibbet.

I chose Zibbet because it is completely free to list and to sell as long as you have under 50 items, which I most definitely will. It does not have the exposure of Etsy by any means, which I am completely fine with. I do not want that exposure yet. I haven't decided yet if I will post a link to the shop on my blog when I finally get it set up within the next few weeks. This is really just a way for people around me to get the soap they want, support my little burgeoning business, and to easily be able to see what I have available rather than asking what I have.  I have no plans to market this shop at all, so I highly doubt anyone, besides the people I send there will even find me among all the other people on the site. Plus, this will give me a chance to keep testing new things, packaging, shipping methods, etc before I open the Etsy shop.

Thoughts? Please share!

9 comments:

  1. Now I'm curious about Zibbet! That's a great way to test out the waters before jumping into Etsy! I agree that sometimes the jobs we have, even though they're not our dream jobs, are the right jobs for the moment. They allow us the time to pursue other goals like education, creativity, or starting a business :) wishing you lots of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karla. Check Zibbet out. It doesn't have the exposure of name recognition Etsy does, but of you are testing the waters, that's not really important.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your shop Sue! And best wishes on your work promotion, I hope you hear some good news soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do to, and thanks for the good luck wishes :)!!

      Delete
  3. I hope you get that promotion very soon, Sue!

    Like you, I am also just selling to a few friends and family because I don't feel ready to sell "officially". Good luck on starting your business and I hope it grows into something very fulfilling for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the same for you. I think your packaging that you show on your blog is lovely!!

      Delete
  4. I hope you get that promotion, Sue! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. And best wishes with the Zibbet and Etsy shops! Great idea getting used to the basics of running an online shop with your family and friends. When and if you decide to expand, you'll have the confidence to move forward then. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! Practice makes perfect!!

      Delete

*Holding out piggy bank* I would love to get your $0.02!